Earth Science Test
Student's Name _________________________________
Parent's Signature _________________________________________
The test will be on Friday, September 6th.
1. The core is the layer of the Earth that is like an iron ball. It is in the center of the Earth. It is kept solid by great heat and pressure inside the Earth.
2. The mantle is the thick layer of the Earth between the core and the outer crust. The rocks in this layer are lighter than the rocks in the core.
3. The crust is the outermost part of the Earth. This is the part of the Earth on which we live. It is made up of the lightest kinds of rocks.
4. What kind of rocks can form in layers underwater? Sedimentary rocks
5. Igneous rocks are formed when molten lava cools.
6. Metamorphic rocks are formed when sedimentary or igneous rocks have had heat and/or pressure applied to them within the Earth.
7. Which type of rock is most likely to be found in Louisiana? Sedimentary
8. Weathering is the breaking of rocks into pieces by elements of the weather such as wind and rain.
9. Erosion is the carrying and the wearing away of soil.
10. A fossil is the preserved remains of a thing that was once alive, usually a plant or an animal. They help scientists learn about plants and animals that lived long ago.
Short answer questions will be:
1. How or what makes changes in the Earth's surface?
2. There are about 70,000 different types of soil on the Earth’s surface. Tell how different soils can be different?
Fill in the blank.
11. About how much of the Earth’s surface is covered by the water? ________
Be able to label the water cycle diagram.